10 March 2009

My Father and His Small Little Things

Don't get me wrong reading the title people, but that's the truth.

Me and hub had an argument yesterday - I would say a good one. It makes me understand him more and him, lets put it that he understands me better now. People say that, if there are too many differences in the partners in the relationship, they can't last that long. But, I beg to differ. Today, however, I am not going to tell you about our differences; let that be to another day. Today, I am going to reminisce the way my parents love each other and how they love their children - all three; Martha, Edmund and Adrian.

1) Find a reason to CELEBRATE!!

My father, whom I called Baba, celebrated everything that can be celebrated. There was one time when I got 3rd place in my secular education school, and I got the highest marks for my Arabic Language. He didn't throw me a huge party with Celine Dion singing in my hall - though I still keep my fingers crossed, but he printed me a cute card saying congratulation and how he loved me so. In another event, we celebrated Christmast with real oven-roasted turkey drumsticks - and we spent 2 days finishing the drumsticks and up till now we still laugh at the memories.

2) Celebrate DATES!!

Baba is particular when it comes to dates. He remembers dates, important ones especially. A major occasion for that would be Birthdays, Anniversaries, New Borns and even Dates of Death of our relatives. When I say birthdays it does not only cover family, it reaches out to neighbors and friends. To celebrate this, my dad would buy cards and asked us to put down our wishes and signature. Sometimes, he would buy ingredients and my mom and I would cook together in the kitchen. I have to say that is so rare to do these days as I am extremely busy. One event that I wouldn't want to forget is Edmund's birthday where he brought us all to Victoria Station to have an expensive dinner. Next was my mothers' 18th of July, middle of the month, what he did really touched me. After Edmund's birthday which was on the twelve of July, each morning, Baba would put a long stalk of rose, untreated, at places my mom would definitely go every morning. He put one in the washing machine, the next day in the fridge, another one at the front door, another one on the vacume cleaner, and the last one on the dining table with a complete set of English Breakfast - scrambled eggs, chicken ham, sausages, mushroom soup and buns - we (Edmund, Baba and I) were partners in crime!! All of this was just to celebrate dates. And I kinda miss that. Hehehe...

3) The love of Baba to My mom.

They don't go off to honeymoon, instead they celebrates little things that surprised their days and nights as husband and wife. Baba would call my mom to brew up coffee or tea so that they could have a cute tea time together at 5 or 530 pm everyday without fail without the kids (as we were very busy with co-curriculum and extra evening activities). He would buy some banana fritters and kuihs, sat on the dining table, over looking the balcony with wildly blooming flowers that Baba planted - It is one of his passion to plant beautiful shrubs and flowers (among his favs is the Jasmine and Santhalia). They would talk about their days and what they did and interesting events. They also shared sad moments there, at the dining table facing the balcony with wildly blooming-scented flowers. Whenever they have problems, they would discuss there, of course putting us to sleep first and talk and talk throughout the night at the same spot, looking at the stars and the moon. Baba loves to surprise my mom - which what we (my mom, Edmund and I) inherit up till now. we love to surprise others and sometimes one of us expected surprises but we planned it out to make it not the usual type of surprise. I really miss those moments.

Baba is no longer with us now. But the little things he did will always be remembered as we move on. They are somethings we treasure everyday and we carry with us every where we go...

3 comments:

LeSScAkAp said...

let us relieve the moment

:)

sliumpo

anna r said...

that's so beautiful... and so thoughtful.

it probably would have been cool to have been able to meet and get to know your baba.

but that's what memories are for right? they last forever :)

love u always.

rungsver

Ms Martha Moore said...

hehehe.....

true2....

thanx hub!!

thanx sis....

hehehe....

my dad would have liken u....

hehehe....