12 June 2009

The Family Gathering

Nervously, I walked slowly towards my uncle's room. He injured his leg in an accident. Seriously, it has been ages since I last talked to him. The mental picture you'll have in mind would have been in a form of an old man, white hair, glasses on, but he is not, really.

My uncle is at the age of 24, yup, the same age as mine. But the title comes from the family tree in which his father is my grandfather's cousin. Hence, his father is my grand uncle and he is my uncle. Complicated? Tell me that when I tried to understand my lineage at the age of 4. We literally grew up together. We went to the same primary school, and moved on to the same secondary school. But after high school, it was hard for us to take care of what we had as we went separate ways. We see each other once in awhile, formal functions like weddings and dinners but you can sorta feel the gap inflicted. And did I mention, he is kinda good looking too. I laughed off to that thought as I stepped into his room.

"Hey Martha," He said, chirpy as if expecting me, trying hard by slowly standing up to greet me. He extended his hand, I greeted it with a huge grin on my face and gave him a hug. He hugged me back. And then he started to breathe faster. I was like, erm, is he orgasm-ing ?

"I think you stepped on my broken foot," He said.

I laughed and sat on the bed. He too, half smiling and half in pain - you can't miss the expression, did the same. Without hesitation, I blurted it out.

"I am kinda afraid," I looked into his eyes. I have no one to turn to (although I practically talked to basically all my family members about this issue except for my mom but they don't face this situation altogether).

"Why?" He asked as he flipped open his lappie.

"Edmund is getting married, and I am not going to anytime soon," He started to pound the keys on the keyboard.

"And what's the problem?" He said calmly.

"People will start to ask me when will it be my time to get married,"I said.

"Hey chill. people will ask me more," Puzzled by his answer I looked at him.

"I am your uncle remember. People will definitely ask me that. But, if you are quite afraid to face the crowd tonight, stay on my side. I'll call a few friends to come so that you have your own crowd," He said, flipped close his lappie and moved to pick his phone from under the pillow.

In an instant, I felt safe and secure. I smiled for the first time in the duration of 6 hours.

9 comments:

LeSScAkAp said...

thank god it was not an orgasm hahahaha

invesse

anna r said...

i was thinking the exact same thing!

and don't u worry...there's no need for you to be afraid. fuck everyone else and do what you have to do to be happy and to get things done.

love you always!

sarco

Azar Azman said...

"I think you stepped on my broken foot,"

i used to do that too. last week. orthopaedics day. sorry pakcik!! hehe.

hope ur tonsilitis had gone beter. i suspected normal streptococcus infections je. antibiotics and lozenge, u'll be fine in few days to a week. go meet ur physician k darl. i mean, now! nnt bole infect ur nose n ears plak.

im goin bak to penang tonyte. plz do take care. :)

Ms Martha Moore said...

LeSScAkAp: hehehe..... it worked! hahaha.... sangat jahat i nie! :P

Anna: Kan? im glad to have a sister like you! hehehe..... i love you too.... like a lot a lot.... hahaha...

Azar: hehehe.... tak dapat jumpe pown kamoo nie.... huh! u r so gonna belanja us makan once u r in kl balek... kih kih kih..... u too take care... jgn ngusha org jer.... hehehe....

Max J. Potter said...

woot. you're following my blog, right? collect your award cepat!!

the unknown said...

marriage aint somethin' like a title or an achievement. it's somethin u're gonna have with someone, for the rest of ur life. so why worry bout what ppl think?

"ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
(Khalil Gibran, The Prophet)

urm.. i know u feel safe with ur uncle, but do u ever miss him? :P

Ms Martha Moore said...

the unknown: the clashes between two set of minds, one with its free thinking ideology and one conservative practitioners resulted the fear of being asked the question. So much so that the dilemma haunts me all day through... hehehe... anyways.... I didn't miss him coz I am not his type... owkay.... awkward.... erm.... anyhow... thank you so much THE UNKNOWN for dropping by and spend a few minutes reading my blog!

Azar: nape susah sangat nak angkat phone skunk nie... sangat susah untuk bercakap dengan kamoo....

the unknown said...

some say that opposite attracts. freedom balances reservation.

in a team, everyone has a role to play. it'd be nice to have members of the same mindset but that would deter synergy.

anyway, it was an honest question. was there longing? regardless of what the other thinks his type is.

Ms Martha Moore said...

dear the unknown,

thank you for taking some minutes off your chores and responsibility (:P) just to check out my blog. I really appreciate it. I DO. It is an honour to share what happened to me in my daily life. From the way I see it, U missed a few entries previously. I do feel the longing, as in family ties. we were brought up in a way that we appreciate family bonding. and it stopped there. I am in a relationship btw, the thing that scared me that night I guessed might have been the absence of my future hubby.

Thank you again... I really like this type of questions and answers it gives me space to think not only just the way i think, but to see thing differently...

Thank you. :)