12 August 2009

Split second

"So," He put down his fork and knife, lifted his face a little, and looked straight into my eyes. He was in his casual look - jeans, sneakers, AX t-shirt on worked out biceps and six packs, spiky short hair and the best thing is, he doesn't seem his age. He's supposed to look like a father of a girl and someone's husband. He looks like just a year or two older than I am. His deep black eyes pierced mine that bring me back to reality. He was expecting an answer.

"It is hard for me to adjust to my new found title," I whispered.

"I can see that it is not that bad," he gestured to a small plastic bag on the chair.

"Well, I don't earn as much as you do. but I'll survived,"

"Talking about that, would you like to come and join us?" He sipped his red wine but his eyes never left mine.

"Join you as in leaving Malaysia?" I started not to like the idea of moving away.

"Yes, Martha. You know the drill especially in your situation rite now. You need something new to ease the pain," He said in that voice of his. Both concern and authoritative.

"But I like it here," I said. I recollected what happened of about 4 - 5 years back. he held my hands in his, with almost teary eyes. He was trying to say something. But he needed to gather his courage to speak something. I was petrified, it was the crowded airport and he was waiting for his flight. He didn't want to let go of my hands. In the background, I could hear the announcement of final call for his flight. and finally after what seemed to be an eternity, he said the line that will be in my head for the rest of my life - "I love you I do, no matter how hard I try to love other people, you will definitely have that special place in my heart til the end of time. Come with me to New Zealand. Lets start a new life," I was dumbstruck. I couldn't even move. He took in a deep breath, knowing how hard headed I can be. "If that the case... I'll be right beside you if you need just about anything. Name it and I'll try my best to get it for you," with that he hugged me and kissed my lips.

"Martha, are you quite here?" Startled, I knocked down my almost empty glass. But my reflects surprised me when there was not a drop of red wine on the white table cloth. "Sorry I startled you,"

"Its okay," I said. Smiled sheepishly at him and managed to look into his eyes.

"I want you to think about it," He said, trying to persuade me. Although I might already know your answer.

No comments: